.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

daveilerville

3.30.2007

Meditations on "The Last Kiss"

Just finished watching "the Last Kiss" It is about several couples going through hard times and trying to decide what to do about it.

Watching it, I keep thinking about how the movie is very realistic about how complex and messy relationships are. But at the same time there is the obligatory happy ending that stops just as they get a new start in their relationship.

I can't help but think that it is bullshit. Not that i don't believe she would give him another chance. But i don't see a happy ending following. I can't imagine it all working out. I just don't believe in 'everything working out' anymore. At least not as easily as our culture tells us it will.

Part of me is sad because I don't believe there will be a happy ending for them, and part of me is sad that I don't believe in love anymore. Not in romantic love that we've been trying to sell ourselves the last 50 years. Wanting things to work out doesn't make them do so. Loving each other isn't enough. What you do matters just as much.

Which is actually a message of the movie, the idea that it isn't out feelings that define us, but how we respond to them.

I think of the lies I've told myself and the truths I've neglected to share. I've always justified my actions by knowing I have good intentions. Since i do actually love/care for these people, even if I do the wrong thing, because my intentions are (mostly) good I get off scot-free.

Well, we all know that is BS. We may not pay today or tomorrow, but all our actions have consequences. They all catch up with us eventually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home